Saturday, April 8, 2017

Liz's Story

I am not my addiction: I am Liz, and I am unique.

I am currently in the Human Services Associate Program. There are a lot of barriers that I have overcome along with my addiction. Your addiction is always there, you know? Any stressors that you had before and after an addiction are still there. For example, I lost a number of relationships.

However, I was lucky as I was able to move away and start over. My main motivation for staying sober and in school is my son and my support systems. I’m enjoying this program and feel good about it! I’m eventually, going to have a degree! My goal in life is happiness! However, I do have smaller goals as well. I’m taking every day, one day at a time. I just want to do good in school and be the best mom I can be! I’ve got an amazing support system; my boyfriend, some friends, and my son’s family. They encourage me to keep going. They are there for me when I need some extra help. It’s super important to let go and rely on your support system sometimes. I know that I can do that with them. The “One Day at a Time” mantra is an important coping skill for me. Sometimes it’s just one minute at a time… If I can get through this, I can get through the day. In my early recovery, I went to meetings, practiced self-reflection, and called on people when I needed them. These things have stuck with me. I think that my recovery will help me in the Human Services program. It will give me the opportunity to see the other side of the story.

On the topic of what advice I would give my younger self, that’s a hard question to answer. I think that everything I went through, I needed to go through. Even if current Liz could go back and talk to younger self, I don’t think I would have listened to me. It seems too simplistic to think that I would say “Hey! Don’t do drugs! It’s a bad idea!” I guess I would say, “Hey, there is a future! You can be happy some day!” Today, I would describe myself as a mom, and someone who is peaceful, friendly, and kind. I am Liz, and I am unique.